The Hickory Landmarks Society -
Preserving our community since 1968
The Hickory Landmarks Society is a non-profit organization committed to serving the Hickory, North Carolina region by leading in the protection of historically or architecturally significant neighborhoods, individual landmarks and traditions. We do this by means of education, advocacy, property management, and ensuring responsible historic preservation as part of community growth.
The Propst House is a Second Empire style cottage built in 1883 by J. Summie Propst for his bride, Jennie Abernethy Propst. Mr. Propst was an expert builder and master carver who built the house himself. The house was built along the railroad tracks where Hickory’s earliest fine homes were located. In 1970 it was moved to its present location at Third Avenue, NW and Sixth Street, NW in Shuford Memorial Garden. In 1975, Hickory Landmarks received the Ruth Coltrane Cannon Cup for the restoration of the Propst House. It is North Carolina’s most prestigious preservation award.
Maple Grove was purchased in 1970 to the Hickory Landmarks Society by means of a contribution in memory of the late Wade Hampton Shuford by his widow. The Italianate-style farmhouse was built in 1883 by Adolphus and Mary Adelaide Shuford with the back portion of the house having been built ca. 1870. In 1976 it was transformed into a house museum nd headquarters for the Hickory Landmarks Society. Restoration of Maple Grove to the c. 1895 period has been an ongoing project since 1992.
Hickory Landmarks Society’s most recently acquired property is Houk’s Chapel, a Methodist Church built in 1893 and now located within Hickory’s Fairview Cemetery. HLS has restored the chapel to its 19th century appearance. The oldest standing church in the city proper, Houk’s Chapel is one of only ten Hickory properties individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The chapel is available for tours by appointment.
Although the Hickory Landmarks Society is directly involved with historic preservation, either through actual restoration and rehabilitation, we now offer technical advice and services for private owners of historic properties. Spurred by acquisition and moving the threatened 1895 Corinth Church parsonage, the HLS Endangered Properties program was established in the 1980’s to purchase and “revolve” historic properties to in Hickory that could not otherwise be saved to new ownership.
The Mission of the Hickory Landmarks Society is to serve the Hickory, NC region by leading in the protection of historically or architecturally significant individual landmarks, neighborhoods, and traditions.
We do this by means of education, advocacy, property management, and ensuring responsible historic preservation as part of community growth.