Barrie Bascomb Blackwelder House

Barrie Bascomb Blackwelder House
224 Third Avenue, NW
Hickory, NC  28601

For Sale by the Hickory Landmarks Society, Inc.
$399,000
828-322-4731 www.hickorylandmarks.org

The two-story Barrie Bascomb Blackwelder House, built in 1914, is an excellent example of a Dutch Colonial Revival style mansion, with a gambrel roof, central entrance portico, and grouped windows. An impressive staircase adorns the entrance hall. A rear garage and multiple sun rooms were added. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018, a contributing part of the Oakwood Historic District. Located across from the historic First Presbyterian Church. The house, currently vacant, was adapted for commercial use, beginning in the 1960’s, but can revert to residential.

Total rooms: 20-22. Bathrooms: 3
4,457 sq. ft.. 0.45 acres Zoning: Office and Institutional

Interior is intact, featuring original interior woodwork, impressive staircase, original closet doors and windows. Original mantles frame fireplaces with capped chimneys. Basement for storage space is over 800 sq. ft. An interior remodeling was completed in 1989. Asphalt paved parking lot in rear can accom-modate up to 20 vehicles. House is currently undergoing exterior painting and minor wood repairs.

Barrie Bascomb Blackwelder, Sr. (1884-1961) was a NC state senator and mayor of Hickory in 1931. His wife Esther Shuford Blackwelder (1883-1957), daughter of Abel Alexander Shuford, Sr., inherited the lot on which the house was built. Esther’s sister Rose married Hugh S. D’Anna, who constructed the landmark Hugh D’Anna House next door in the same year. After the death of Abel A. Shuford, Jr. in 1932, Blackwelder became head of Shuford Mills, and later founded Quaker Meadows Mills in Hildebran.

In 1963 the house was sold and adapted for commercial use as a podiatrist office and treatment clinic. In 1973 the property was sold to noted architect James Biggs and designer Ellen Biggs, who jointly operated businesses there. In 1989 the property was purchased by Phillip Barringer for commercial use. It has been unoccupied for two years. In 1991 Barringer & Associates received a historic preservation award from the Hickory Landmarks Society.

Neighborhood schools include Oakwood Elementary and Hickory High. All roof sections replaced at various times. Natural gas heat with outdated Lennox units. SheetRock and Popcorn ceiling texture cover interior plaster walls. Aluminum siding. Below grade garage in rear added.

Preservation covenants apply. Federal and North Carolina rehabilitation tax credits available. Contact HLS for appointment to visit. 322-4731 patrick@hickorylandmarks.org